Cardinal Dolan has asked the Dean of Fordham University’s Graduate School of Religion and Religious Education to develop online Theology courses that will be open to all lectors, Eucharistic ministers, catechists and other interested parishioners throughout the Archdiocese. He hopes that many catechists will avail themselves of these courses and he has assured me that they will be offered at no cost to the catechists. This will help explain these changes in the Level 1 online courses in Theology.
These downloads will help you understand the changes:
Please note the following:
- The new Theology courses available from Fordham are only in English; however, eventually they will also be available in Spanish.
- Catechist Formation will remain free to all catechists.
- All catechists currently enrolled in the Catechetical Office’s Level 1 Theology component must complete the current Level 1 theology courses by June 30th, 2017.
- Beginning July 1st, 2017, all must take the Fordham online Theology offerings if they want online theology courses for Catechist Formation credit.
- Onsite Level 1 Theology courses will continue to be offered throughout the archdiocese using Fordham’s course outlines.
- The Catechetical Office will continue to offer both online and onsite the Spirituality course and the Methodology courses .Catechists will continue to sign up for these courses as they have been doing. No change.
- The Catechetical Office will continue to certify the catechists once they have completed all requirements in: Spirituality, Methodology and in Fordham’s Theology offerings. As always, the catechist should give a copy of the paper signifying they have completed and passed the particular course (comparable to the Blue Card) to the Director/Coordinator and keep a copy for him/herself. Fordham will also inform the Catechetical Office of the names of the catechists who have completed and passed each course.
- At the end of the course descriptions, you will see a reference to Level 2 Theology courses being developed. Until the Level 2 Theology courses are ready, the catechists may continue to take the current Level 2 online/onsite Theology courses.
As you know, many dioceses have contracted with universities to make theology courses more accessible to parishioners and people involved in ministry such as lectors, Eucharistic ministers and catechists. Collaborating with Fordham University’s Graduate School of Religion and Religious Education will present a new opportunity for our catechists and all our people.
If you have any questions/concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us. We want this transition to be as smooth as possible for you and your catechists.
Sr. Nancy Elizabeth Doran, SSC
Liaison: Catechist Formation